9.16.2011

Harvest Time


You know what that means? Canning! I am excited to can this year. Nothing beats home canned peaches in a simple syrup. My husband loves peach pies made from a jar of home canned peaches (my secret is a pinch of cayene pepper to heighten flavor). I have had pressing events that have kept me from canning for the past three years (2 babies in 3 years) and so my cupboards are bare. 


I miss the neatly lined rows of blushing pink peachy peaches and warm brown applesauce. I find it ironic that I don't enjoy fruit, something about the texture, but I love to can.


There is something so satifying about filling the little bellies of the children I love with fresh juicy home canned fruit. I love watching them lick sticky syrup from their lips as it drips down their chins (boys are so messy). I love puting the jars up on the shelf and feeling a sense of accomplishment - I did it! I love knowing I have preserved a little of summer in a jar, to enjoy in the dreary days of winter. Sunshine!


1 comment :

  1. Hi Mandi, thanks for the comment on my blog today.... The stamps I used on the hidden part of my card are from the half & half set (the sentiment), but the hot air balloon was on the patterned paper to begin wtih (Echo Park).

    ReplyDelete